Bill Blass attended the Parson's School of Design in 1940 and shortly after graduating he went to work for Anna Miller where he developed the glamorous style for which he was best known. In 1959 Anna Miller became Maurice Rentner and Blass became the head designer. By 1960 his name appeared on labels and in 1970 he bought the company and the name was changed to Bill Blass, Ltd. Known as one of the major American fashion designers, Blass was credited with bringing back the cocktail dress in 1975 and was as famous for his day wear as he was for his evening wear. His luxurious clothing made from ornate fabrics in bright colors defined American fashion of the time and he was a fan favorite of the First Lady, Nancy Reagan.